The Bell and Howell 730DC scanner is a bulky sheet-fed/flatbed hybrid scanner that will give you an incredibly crisp scan. It could be perfect for a small business that needs a reliable, high-quality scanner!
- 23 in. x 21 in. x 10 in.
- 61 lbs.
- Short and stubby. This is not a huge scanner, but it’s definitely not small either.
- It’s semi-wide and long, but doesn’t stand very tall. It’s decently heavy, too.
- 600 DPI.
- Great resolution for any text document. They’ll come out crisp and clean!
- Image scans will be good but not great.
- 38 PPM in black and white.
- 26 PPM in color.
- Right around the median (maybe a little on the low end) for scanning speed. It’s not going to be lightning fast, but it also won’t be excruciatingly slow.
- Minimum scan size of 4.1 in. x 5 in.
- Maximum scan size of 11.7 in. x 78 in.
- It has a flatbed scanner, making 3D objects fair game. Anything that can fit on the glass can be scanned.
- Automatic document feeder with 50 sheet capacity.
- Wow are there really no other features?
Overall Rating: 6.5/10
Am I being too harsh? I don’t think so. To be fair, the Bell and Howell 730DC does have some really great things about it that would fit in well with a lot of businesses. Some of those things are:
- Scan resolution. It will give you really great looking scans. Your images will be a little less great, but text document will look perfect.
- Versatility. The 730DC has both short and (very) long paper scanning capabilities, along with a flatbed that allows for any 3D object (that can fit on the glass) to be scanned, too. Basically, anything your business needs to scan can be scanned, within reason.
There are some downfalls to this scanner, though.
- The size. It’s not a huge issue, but it is kind of bulky and heavy. Not super small-office friendly.
- The speed. Again, it’s not a huge issue. But for a scanner that has a lot of versatility in what you can scan, it’d be nice for it to not take so long.
- The total lack of “extra” features. I like extras. An LCD display, OCR software, barcode recognition, something! The 730DC is definitely lacking when it comes to a “wow” factor.
Maybe you’re not as picky as me. Maybe you don’t need all the sparkle and shine, just a versatile, high-quality scanner. If that’s the case, the Bell and Howell 730DC is a great scanner for you! If you’re looking for one, they’re sold on Ebay and ScannerParts.Biz!